Friday, November 5, 2010

Be aware.

Lately I have been in the mood to just be quiet and pay attention to what is going on around me. This doesn't work too well in classes because teachers are constantly wanting us to speak up and share opinions. However, this semester I am in the class Race and Gender. This is a required class for my social work major so I've heard plenty of other people talk about this class and what it was about, but I think I am seriously blessed to be in this class, this semester, with the specific people in this class. It gives me a chance to reflect on deep topics. The class mainly focuses on issues around race or gender, hence the name. :P But we cover so many things and the class makes you so aware of things you may or may not have ever thought about. (So here's my plug, you should take this class, or one like it!!) One thing I am realizing about myself and the world around me is all the gender stereotypes and expectations the world places on females, and males. I've always been aware to how girls are treated differently than guys. For example, in youth group in high school, my youth pastor would constantly make the boys do the manual labor and the girls would be in the kitchen helping with dinner. Even at age 14 I would be like, "I am just as capable of moving tables as the boys." So I think that I have always been in tune to the gender stereotypes but not as willing to change them then. 


My desire lately has been that the activities I do are based on whether or not I like to do them, not whether or not that is "what girls do." For example, one of my friends thinks that females in the marriage are suppose to do all the cooking, cleaning, homemaker duties. Whereas, I hate to cook, so when I'm married I do not want that to be my job. I do, however, like putting things together and trying to fix things. I am just becoming more aware to the labels society places on females and males. Like guys are supposed to be tough and never show emotion. I think this is absolutely ridiculous...every single person on this planet needs to show their emotions. So I challenge you, whoever you are, to break a gender stereotype this week and see the reactions you get. Maybe do some work around the house your brothers or dads normally do, or guys maybe cook a meal and tidy up a room and see what happens. While I know not everyone places the stereotypes on genders, they are seen in everyday life so I challenge you to at least be aware. 




It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom



-"How deep the fathers love for us."





No comments:

Post a Comment