Sunday, July 8, 2012

Getting to Alaska. Part 1.

For those of you who want to know about my trip to Alaska---


June 23rd
On Saturday June 23rd our group started on our journey to Alaska. I woke up at 4am because sleep was no longer important to my body as it was eager to begin our trek. We all met at the church around 9am after saying tearful goodbyes to my mom and some of my co-workers. Henry, Joseph, Dave and I drove a truck carrying all of our luggage to Baltimore separately from the church van. We made it there in good time, despite some rough traffic and some motion sickness. We arrived at the Baltimore airport about 3 hours early and after getting through claims and security we just kind of mosied around the airport. If you know anything about me I LOVE AIRPLANES. So naturally I was perfectly content to just sit and watch them take off and land. Nothing more exhilarating and exciting than to see a 300,000 pound piece of metal take off and land. We boarded and headed off for Salt Lake City, Utah around 5:50 pm. Flying over the plains was a beautiful sight. The farthest west I have ever been was Mississippi so this was all new sights to take into my memory.
Nebraska


Rocky Mountains

Pure love

Rocky Mountains

Once we landed in Salt Lake City we ate and then immediately boarded our plane for Anchorage, Alaska. It was weird because when we took off in Salt Lake the sun was just beginning to set, and about 15 minutes into our plane ride it was dark. But the further north we went the sun began to rise again. Mind you it is about 11:30 pm and the sun is rising. Weird right? We landed in Anchorage, Alaska at 12:30 am and it was about dusk/dawn outside. We drove to Wasilla and got settled into our new home for the week.
Salt Lake City
Doesn't look like much, but it was beautiful. I will be going back there one day!

Day two to follow.

Ab

No comments:

Post a Comment